Baba Ganoush Made Healthier

June 24, 2013

Being half Middle Eastern, I grew up surrounded by delicious dishes that not everyone ate.  My grandpa, who was born and raised in Jordan, made the best food.  I can remember the house filling with amazing aromas I couldn't smell anywhere else.  The tastes and textures were something I could only dream about until the next visit.  Although he was an amazing cook, he wasn't the healthiest cook.  All of his goodies were laden with oil, fat, and sugar...and they were incredible. As an adult I still long for those childhood tastes, but with a grownup healthy twist. One of my all time favorites is a roasted eggplant dip called Baba Ganoush.



Ingredients
  • 1 eggplant
  • 1 TBSP tahini
  • Juice from half a lemon (I always end up adding more, but half is a good start)
  • 1 clove of garlic (again, I always add a second close, but I am a garlic fiend)
  • 1/4 cup nonfat plain Chobani
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Add cold water to a large bowl and put aside. Poke a generous amount of holes with your fork or knife into the whole eggplant (do not skip this step unless you want eggplant confetti covering your oven). Place your eggplant on a foil lined baking sheet and put it in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, turning the eggplant every so often until it becomes soft. 

When you take the eggplant out of the oven, place into the bowl of cold water to shock the veg. Take the eggplant out after about 10-15 seconds and peel off the skin. Place the eggplant on a towl or papertowels to let extra liquid drain.

While your eggplant is resting, combine the garlic, tahini, lemon, and yogurt into a blender and blend until smooth. Add in your eggplant and pulse until lumpy (I prefer lumps, you can blend until smooth here as well). Eat immediately or let the Bab Ganoush set up in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

What's New on Instagram!

Instagram

Follow Us